Friday, February 02, 2007

That %$#@*(&^ Groundhog best be right


The lovely creature pictured (the groundhog aka Punxsutawney Phil) has "predicted" an early spring. It snowed here a little yesterday and a little more is forecast for today. Todays high should be 33.....that damn rodent best know what he is talking about!!! Of course being the Google junky I am I had to read up a bit on the history of this odd weather predicting varmint. Supposedly it goes to back to the Germans and much of Pennsylvania was originally inhabited by German immigrants. This is the German verses that tell of groundhog day.


For as the sun shines on Candlemas Day,
So far will the snow swirl until the May.

Now THIS verse of course led me to Google Candlemas Day. I found it was a Catholic feast to commemorate the purification of the Virgin Mary a nd presentation of Jesus in the temple. Under Mosaic law a mother who had given birth to a son was considered unclean for seven days and was to remain for three and thirty days in the blood of her purification. And to think before today I thought they were just pulling a groundhog out of the ground to simply offer a tourist revenue to their tiny town. I am sure there is plenty of mention of the Biblical importance of the day right? (sarcasm for the new people)

-------------------------
Did you know the groundhog is also known as a woodchuck or whistle pig? They are classified as rodents and can live up to six years in the wild and ten years in captivity...yet Punxsy Phil is over 100 years old according to the members of the groundhog club. Hmmmm maybe he is just a survivor (again sarcasm)
-------------------------
Did youever wonder how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? ( I know Jillie is trying to say this aloud right now) Well ironically the term woodchuck has absolutely nothing to do with wood. It comes from An Algonquian name for an animal called the wuchak.... I am guessing or lazy English screwed that one up huh?
-------------------------
Ok enough of the schooling for today. I notice no apples are on my desk and someone might be in need of some swats.....

Merry Candlemas to everyone!!!!!

Oh and thanks www.groundhog.org for "letting" me use that pic.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Breazy said...

Here in East Tennessee you will hear them called whistle pigs or prairie dogs.. I have no clue why they call them prairie dogs but some do. Thanks for the history behind Groundhog day!

Have a good day!

7:44 AM  
Blogger jillie said...

Ok Brad...you've got me pegged and before I even read that you said I would be doing it out loud. LMAO

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....how much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood??

xo

Have a great wknd!

8:49 AM  
Blogger lime said...

lol, from a bona fide PA girl, ya done good ;) i'm such a trivia junkie

11:09 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

=) hehe thanks for the history lesson sir.
But I didn't bring an apple.... or raise my hand.... so there!

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home