Sunday, December 31, 2006

Last one this year.....maybe

Well here we stand at the threshold of a brand new year. 2007 is only 14 hours away or so. I have had a pretty good year all in all I guess. I have managed to lose about 45 pounds and have maintained the same weight for about 6 months now. As soon as it gets warmer I am hoping that weight will come on down another 15 pounds or so and be right at the 200 lb mark. I am much more fit than I was this time last year. I have not gotten what I wanted accomplished on my land as far as getting a house built but I am not far aay from starting that now. I have made some new friends through reading your blogs. All in all I would have to give the year '06 a grade of A- for myself.
-----------------
I have gotten a few emails the last few days from a friend and last night she called and we chatted for a long time. I had bumped into her a few weeks ago as I was walking in to watch Ashley play basketball......ok actually bumped into her daughter first as she came up hugging me.....all I could see was the top of her head and I had no idea who she was....looking around I see her mom sitting there laughing at my bewilderment. Anyway I will not go into details but it amazes me what some people will put up with during the dating process and still keep going. I have never actually met this guy she is dating but pretty much everything I "predicted" about him has come to pass. He is a player and I continually tell this young lady she could do better, much better and she continues. I finally told her that I was done with telling her anything regarding him and that when he finally opens her eyes to call me I will be there for her to talk to. I am not sure if thats what last nights call was but I think she has decided that I just might be right. Please think about this friend for me and say a prayer for her that she does not continue to waste her life on this "man". I know thats an odd request. Deal with it :P
--------------
Hope everyone has a safe and happy new year planned. I have no idea what or where mine will be spent....might go out to my land and sit around a campfire and shoot some fireworks..... no telling where I might end up haha. I will close this out by cutting and pasting a portion from one of my favorite sites.. wikipedia.com.

Auld Lang Syne" is usually sung each year on New Year's Eve (Hogmanay in Scotland) in the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, the United States, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and English speaking Canada at midnight and signifies the start of a new year. In the United Kingdom, it is played at the close of the annual Congress (conference) of the Trades Union Congress. Also, in many Burns Clubs, it is sung to end the Burns supper.

It is used as a graduation song and a funeral song in Taiwan, symbolizing an end or a goodbye. In Japan, too, it is used in graduation, and many stores play it to usher customers out at the end of a business day. Before the composition of Aegukga, the lyrics of Korea’s national anthem were sung to the tune of this song. In the Indian Armed Forces the band plays this song during the passing out parade of the recruits.

In the Philippines, it is well known and sung at celebrations like graduations, New Year and Christmas Day. Also, before 1972, it was the tune for the Gaumii salaam anthem of The Maldives (with the current words), In Thailand, it is use for Samakkkhi Chumnum (Together in unity), sung after sports.

In Portugal, France, Spain, Greece and Germany this song is used to mark a farewell. It is also used in the Scout movement for the same purpose, but with lyrics that are a little different.

It has also been used on other occasions as a farewell. One occasion that falls in this category was in October 2000, when the body of former Canadian prime minister Pierre Trudeau left Parliament Hill in Ottawa for the last time, going to Montreal for the state funeral.

The song is also the official corps song for the Kilties drum and bugle corps.

Bring it 2007!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

Happy New Year Hun.... I hope it brings everythng you hope it brings. =)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Happy New Year Brad!
~xo
Lee Ann

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home