Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Happy Valentines Day!!!



My good friend Christie sent me this pic the other day and I just HAD to share it with you. Seems like this is as good a day as any right? haha

In my usual overindulgence of research I found this out in regards to the holiday we call Valentines day. It seems there were two men with the last name of Valentine who were Christian martyrs. This day became associated with romantic love (as opposed to just outright hardcore sex I guess?)during the middle ages when courtly love flourished....not Cortney Love...she came along much later.

The first reported use ofValentines day in assocaition with love was done by Geoffrey Chaucer, who is sometimes called the father of English literature, from his work called Parlement of Foules from 1382.

For this was on seynt Volantynys day
Whan euery bryd comyth there to chese [chose] his make [mate]

In 1349 2000 Jews were burned to death by Christian mobs for whom they alleged caused the Bubonic plague. I am guessing they thought these Jews were pretty powerful to do such a thing haha.

Sorry I dont have time for more interesting info here but its time to get ready for work. Hope everyone has a great Valentines day and please dont go killing people for starting a plague unless you have solid evidence of such heinous activity.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

4:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Valentines Day! So nice to see the pic I sent you on your blog. It is one of my faves :)

7:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:36 AM  
Blogger jillie said...

Happy Valentines Day Brad!!!
xo

9:08 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

aww what a great picture! =) HHNT babe!

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home